On August 19th, the Ohio Department of Health issued an order that provided extensive guidelines for all athletic programs participating in competitive sports with opposing schools. The Tallmadge-specific Athletics Game Play and Venue Operations Plan listed below was created using the guidance provided by the August 19th ODH order (and the subsequent update to the order on September 25th). Please review the following information for our HOME athletic contests for our MS & HS winter sports:
Game Play Protocols
- All athletic events will follow the OHSAA/NFHS rules modifications and protocols to ensure the safety of all athletes, coaches, game personnel, and spectators/community.
- All participants must perform a self-assessment for COVID-19 symptoms before arriving to facility. One or more symptoms requires the participant to stay home.
- All participants must wear a face covering at all times unless they are involved in active play that involves intense aerobic output.
- All participants must maintain six feet of social distancing in all directions when not involved in active play.
- All participants must provide their own water bottles.
- All MS & HS fall athletic teams will compete on the Tallmadge HS campus (with the exception of our bowling and swim teams). The MS & ES gyms will be used for practices but NOT competition.
- Up to 8 cheerleaders will be permitted on the gym floor to cheer at any given time.
- Gates will open 45 minutes before contests begin.
- No re-entry will be permitted once spectators are in a facility.
- All high-touch surface areas of venues will be cleaned after an event has occurred.
Entrance/Exit of Facilities
Tallmadge HS Gym:
- Home spectators, visiting spectators, and the visiting team will enter through Door #27 and will maintain social distancing as they progress to the gym.
- Home spectators, visiting spectators, and the visiting team will exit through either Door #26 (freshman basketball) or Door #25 (JV/V games or matches).
- See diagram of where to park and enter/exit facility: Tallmadge HS Gym Winter 2020-21 Facility Enter & Exit Points
Tallmadge HS Bowling Alley & Swimming Pool:
- Teams will enter/exit facilities based on the protocol established by Stonehedge (bowling) and the Kohl Family YMCA (swimming)
- These venues are NOT permitting spectators.
NO SPECTATORS ARE PERMITTED FROM NOVEMBER 20, 2020 – DECEMBER 16, 2020
Read letter for further information: Winter Sports Spectators 11-20 Update
- Home team = 3 spectators per participant (i.e., athlete, cheerleader, coach); spectators are not permitted in Stonehedge or the Kohl Family YMCA
- Away team = 2 spectators per participant (i.e., athlete, cheerleader, and coach)
Spectators must be living in household of athlete, cheerleader, coach OR they must be a close family member. Non-family members are NOT permitted to attend on behalf of a participant. Spectators representing each participant must sit together (i.e., 3 people attending on behalf of one participant = must sit together). Spectators cannot sit in groups of more than four people (i.e., two spectators of one participant may sit with two spectators of another participant if they know each other AND the participants are on the same team).
All Spectators MUST:
- Self-assess for symptoms prior to arrival and stay home if they have one or more symptoms.
- Sit in designated locations for home and visitor fans.
- Wear a face covering at all times.
- Maintain social-distancing at all times.
- Leave immediately at the end of competition (i.e., congregating is not permitted on the grounds or in the parking lot).
- Tickets will be sold for all home HS basketball and wrestling contests (excluding wheelchair basketball). No admission will be charged for home MS or Freshman athletic events.
- $7 for adults and $4 for students & senior citizens; cash only, NO credit cards accepted. Please bring exact cash if possible.
- NO passes of any type will be accepted.
- Separate lines for home and visiting spectators to purchase their tickets will be used and social distancing will be maintained.
- Spectators will bring their money to the facility and indicate to the ticket taker which athlete, cheerleader, or coach they are attending on behalf of. Attendance of spectators will be taken relative to the team’s roster.
- ONCE A PARTICIPANT HAS THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF SPECTATORS MARKED DOWN NEXT TO HIS/HER NAME, NO ADDITIONAL SPECTATORS WILL BE ADMITTED ON BEHALF OF THAT PARTICIPANT (i.e., 3 for home and 2 for visitors).
- The gym will be cleared at the conclusion of freshman basketball games of ALL spectators and game participants before JV/V spectators are permitted to enter the gym. Freshmen basketball players and cheerleaders are not permitted to attend the JV/V game unless they are participating in the JV game OR have paid admission due to a sibling/family member participating in the JV/V game.
- Locker rooms are to be used for changing of clothes, restrooms, and showering (mask not required when showering).
- No items are to be stored in lockers overnight; whatever comes in with the athlete leaves with the athlete EVERY TIME.
- Athletes at the HS who bring their athletic bag to school will store it in the Rotunda concession stand during the school day (auxiliary gym is being used for wrestling during the winter). They can change in the locker room before practice.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- Social distancing of 3-6 feet must be maintained at all times.
- Each locker room will be cleaned and disinfected at the end of each night (if it was used that day).
- Public restrooms will be available in the gym hallway of HS gym.
- Limited concessions of pre-packaged items will be sold (i.e., drinks, candy, etc.) whenever possible for contests occurring in the Tallmadge HS gym. No prepared food will be sold (hotdogs, popcorn, etc.).
- Social distancing will be maintained in line.
- Cash only; we are unable to accept credit cards.
- Live streaming of home MS & HS basketball and wrestling contests will occur throughout the season on the Tallmadge Schools Broadcast YouTube channel. We are currently working on ways to live stream our home bowling matches and swim meets.
Reporting Suspected/Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
- Scenario #1: If a participant starts to experience symptoms during play = participant is isolated, and depending on role of participant, some or all play may be suspended at discretion of compliance officer. Compliance officer will notify Summit County Public Health Department.
- Scenario #2: If a spectator starts to experience symptoms while attending a venue = spectator is immediately isolated and compliance officer will notify Summit County Public Health Department.
- Scenario #3: If a Tallmadge participant tests positive for COVID-19 after a competition has occurred = the compliance officer will notify the administration of opposing school(s) that a positive test has occurred and that the appropriate health departments have been notified (i.e. any competition occurring in the time frame determined by the health department in which the positive athlete was contagious to others).
* In any of the above mentioned scenarios, the compliance officer will provide attendance records for contact tracing to Summit County Public Health. The school district will work with SCPH to notify parents/legal guardians, and the opposing school if necessary, and determine the appropriate next steps to take regarding Tallmadge athletics and facilities.
Return to Play from a Positive COVID-19 Test
- An individual who tests positive for COVID-19, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic, shall not return to sports activities until a documented medical exam is performed clearing the individual prior to the individual returning to participation in practice or games. The documented medical exam must specifically include an assessment of the cardiac/heart risk of high-intensity exercise due to the potential of myocarditis occurring in COVID-19 patients.
- When a player, coach, or athletic trainer tests positive for COVID-19, team members who are not close contacts requiring self-quarantine as determined by the local health department should conduct daily symptoms assessments and stay home if sick, and conduct an in-person temperature check before the start of each practice and game for 14 days as a precaution.
WE MUST ALL DO OUR PART TO MAKE SURE THAT WE GIVE OUR TEAMS THE BEST CHANCE AT HAVING A FULL SEASON. IF PROTOCOLS ARE NOT ADHERED TO BY ATHLETES AND/OR COACHES THEN SOME OF THE ATHLETES/COACHES OR THE ENTIRE TEAM WILL BE SHUT DOWN. IF PROTOCOLS ARE NOT ADHERED TO BY SPECTATORS THEN PLAY MAY BE SUSPENDED AND SOME OR ALL SPECTATORS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED IN THE FACILITY FOR ANY REMAINING CONTESTS.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER……..LET’S MAKE SURE WE DO EVERYTHING RIGHT TO PROTECT OUR ATHLETES, COACHES, GAME PERSONNEL, AND SPECTATORS/COMMUNITY! GO BLUE DEVILS!!!