On August 19th, the Ohio Department of Health issued an order that provided extensive guidelines for all athletic programs participating in competitive sports with opposing schools. The Tallmadge-specific Athletics Game Play and Venue Operations Plan listed below was created using the guidance provided by the August 19th ODH order (and the subsequent updates to the order on September 25th and March 2nd). On April 5th, ODH rescinded the previously mentioned orders and streamlined all of them into a new order. Please review the following information for our HOME athletic contests for our MS & HS spring sports:
Game Play Protocols
- All athletic events will follow the OHSAA/NFHS rules modifications and protocols to ensure the safety of all athletes, coaches, game personnel, and spectators/community.
- All participants must perform a self-assessment for COVID-19 symptoms before arriving to facility. One or more symptoms requires the participant to stay home.
- All participants must wear a face covering at all times unless they are involved in active play that involves intense aerobic output OR they can consistently maintain a distance of six feet or more from individuals who are not members of their family/household.
- All participants must maintain six feet of social distancing in all directions when not involved in active play (whenever possible).
- All participants must provide their own water bottles.
- All MS & HS spring athletic teams will compete on the Tallmadge HS campus. The MS campus will be used for practices but NOT competition.
- Gates will open 30 minutes before contests begin.
- No re-entry will be permitted once spectators are in a facility.
- All high-touch surface areas of venues will be cleaned after an event has occurred.
- Parking at Community Baptist Church for softball games is NOT permitted. All game personnel, athletes, coaches, and spectators must park in the parking lot south of the softball field.
Entrance/Exit of Facilities
Blue Devil Stadium:
- Home team, game personnel, and home & away spectators will enter/exit through main plaza (handicap spectators will be allowed to enter through press box gate if needed).
- Visiting team will enter/exit through visitor double gate on east side of field house.
- Click on attachment to view diagram of where to park and enter/exit facility: Blue Devil Stadium Spring 2021 Facility Enter-Exit Points
Tallmadge HS Tennis Courts, Dave Young Baseball Field, and Tallmadge Softball Field:
- These venues are open-air facilities in which defined entrance/exit protocols cannot be established for home and visiting spectators.
- All spectators must maintain social distancing while entering/exiting these facilities.
- The April 5th ODH Order does not provide spectator limitations for outdoor venues. We are respectfully asking that families of home and visiting game participants do not bring more than 4 spectators per game participant in order to help preserve social distancing at our outdoor venues.
Spectators are encouraged to be family members or living in the household of game participant (athlete & coach). Family members should sit together. Non-family members are permitted to attend on behalf of a game participant. Spectators cannot sit in groups of more than ten people and masks must be worn by all in the group unless all group members are family members/living in same household. Groups must be separated by at least six feet in all directions.
All Spectators MUST:
- Self-assess for symptoms prior to arrival and stay home if they have one or more symptoms.
- Wear a face covering at all times UNLESS they can maintain a distance of six feet or more from individuals who are not members of their family/household.
- Maintain social distancing of 6 feet at all times.
- Leave immediately at the end of competition (i.e., congregating is not permitted on the grounds or in the parking lot).
Spectator Seating Designations:
- Click on attachment to view diagram for seating designations at Tallmadge Tennis Courts, Dave Young Baseball Field, Tallmadge Softball Field, and Blue Devil Stadium: Spring 2021 Tallmadge Athletics COVID-19 Seating Designations
- No admission is charged for spring sports.
- ALL ATHLETES ARE ENCOURAGED TO ARRIVE TO PRACTICE/COMPETITIONS READY TO GO IF POSSIBLE. LOCKER ROOMS SHOULD ONLY BE USED IF NECESSARY.
- Locker rooms are to be used for changing of clothes and restrooms only.
- No items are to be stored in lockers overnight; whatever comes in with the athlete leaves with the athlete EVERY TIME.
- Athletes are permitted to use the boys and girls competition locker rooms indoors or the field house locker rooms if practicing outdoors.
- Track athletes at the HS who bring their athletic bag to school will store it in the Rotunda concession stand during the school day. Baseball/softball players will store their bags in the auxiliary gym. They can change in the locker room before practice.
- Masks must be worn at all times in locker rooms.
- Social distancing of 3-6 feet must be maintained at all times.
- Public restrooms will be available in field house of Blue Devil Stadium (handicap accessible porta-potty will be available behind the home press box).
- Portable toilets (handicap accessible) will be available at baseball and softball fields.
- Restrooms inside Tallmadge Rec are available at tennis court.
- No concessions will be sold at any venue except Blue Devil Stadium.
- Limited concessions of pre-packaged items will be sold (i.e., drinks, candy, etc.) whenever possible. No prepared food will be sold (hotdogs, popcorn, etc.).
- Social distancing will be maintained in line.
- Cash only; we are unable to accept credit cards.
- The Spirit Hut will not operate at any venue except Blue Devil Stadium.
- No more than two workers permitted inside of Spirit Hut at any time.
- No live streaming of games/matches/meets will occur.
Reporting Suspected/Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
- Scenario #1: If a participant starts to experience symptoms during play = participant is isolated, and depending on role of participant, some or all play may be suspended at discretion of compliance officer. Compliance officer will notify Summit County Public Health Department.
- Scenario #2: If a spectator starts to experience symptoms while attending a venue = spectator is immediately isolated and compliance officer will notify Summit County Public Health Department.
- Scenario #3: If a Tallmadge participant tests positive for COVID-19 after a competition has occurred = the compliance officer will notify the administration of opposing school(s) that a positive test has occurred and that the appropriate health departments have been notified (i.e. any competition occurring in the time frame determined by the health department in which the positive athlete was contagious to others).
* In any of the above mentioned scenarios, the compliance officer will provide attendance records for contact tracing to Summit County Public Health. The school district will work with SCPH to notify parents/legal guardians, and the opposing school if necessary, and determine the appropriate next steps to take regarding Tallmadge athletics and facilities.
Return to Play from a Positive COVID-19 Test
- An individual who tests positive for COVID-19, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic, shall not return to sports activities until a documented medical exam is performed clearing the individual prior to the individual returning to participation in practice or games. The documented medical exam must specifically include an assessment of the cardiac/heart risk of high-intensity exercise due to the potential of myocarditis occurring in COVID-19 patients.
- When a player, coach, or athletic trainer tests positive for COVID-19, team members who are not close contacts requiring self-quarantine as determined by the local health department should conduct daily symptoms assessments and stay home if sick, and conduct an in-person temperature check before the start of each practice and game for 14 days as a precaution.
WE MUST ALL DO OUR PART TO MAKE SURE THAT WE GIVE OUR TEAMS THE BEST CHANCE AT HAVING A FULL SEASON. IF PROTOCOLS ARE NOT ADHERED TO BY ATHLETES AND/OR COACHES THEN SOME OF THE ATHLETES/COACHES OR THE ENTIRE TEAM WILL BE SHUT DOWN. IF PROTOCOLS ARE NOT ADHERED TO BY SPECTATORS THEN PLAY MAY BE SUSPENDED AND SOME OR ALL SPECTATORS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED IN THE FACILITY FOR ANY REMAINING CONTESTS.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER……..LET’S MAKE SURE WE DO EVERYTHING RIGHT TO PROTECT OUR ATHLETES, COACHES, GAME PERSONNEL, AND SPECTATORS/COMMUNITY! GO BLUE DEVILS!!!